Dr. I. David Morrison - Representative Talks,
Presentations and significant meetings for Leadership during the past few
- July, 2012 Prostate Cancer 5/10 Km Walk/Run, sponsored by Cox & Palmer Law Firm. Opened by Dr David Morrison, with race starter Dr Heather Morrison.
- June, 2012. Organizer for talks and dinners: Retreat and speaking engagements with Dr Robert Kennedy, Jesuit Priest and Zen Sensei, Jesus & Buddha; Dr Rob Rutlege, Open Conference, Delta Hotel, “Prostate Cancer and Caring for the Whole Person:; Dr Simon Sutcliffe, private dinner and exchange of opinions - the future of medicine and cancer modalities.
- May, 2012. “Association of Hospice and Palliative Care Chaplains,” AGM and Conference, Derbyshire, U.K.
- May 21 - 26 Sixty-fifth World Health Assembly, Palais Des Nations, Geneva. Delegate of the World Cancer Group, UICC, and a member of the task force of the Non-Communicable Diseases Alliance. 193 U.N. Member States gave hope to millions of people living with NCDs on Thursday evening by adopting the “25 by 25” target at the 65th World Health Assembly, with the remaining targets to be agreed at a formal Member State consultation before the end of October. “This success is the outcome of months of work, starting last year with our (NCDs Alliance) call for this goal to be included in the UN Summit commitments, and maintaining the pressure through the subsequent rounds of consultation on the targets. Your efforts in the lead up to the WHA helped make the way for this decision, and the undaunted efforts of the NCD advocates in Geneva this week to keep pushing right to the last moment played a critical part for its adoption”
- April, 2012 - "Cancer: Spiritual and Emotional Care", Prostate Cancer Support Group.
- March, 2012 - "Spirituality in Nursing Practice", Seminar for the UPEI School of Nursing.
- January 2012 - Named co-chair of the PEI Prostate Cancer Support Group
- December 2011. Release of DVD. Dr David Morrison, “Pain Control and Palliative Care,” Produced by Mike Hill, Director, Moonshine Movies, Australia. Recorded August 2010, World Cancer Congress, China. 35 min.
- November 20, 2011.Emmanuel Church Geneva. Worship Service.
- November 18 - 21.Geneva Consultations on the Right to Treatment, Non-Communicable Diseases.
- November 17, 2011. Invited participant - “Moving from Declaration to Action on NCDs: A Participatory Roundtable for Multi-Stakeholder Collaboration,” . Global Social Observatory, Varembé Conference Centre, Geneva, Switzerland
- October 17 - 20 IPOS Congress, Antalya Turkey. Speaker - “Psyosocial Care and Treatment as a Human Right”
- August-September. Policy Preparation & Briefing Papers for United Nations Summit and Special General Assembly on Non-Communicable Diseases, September 19- 20. The Non-Communicable Diseases Alliance Briefing Paper - 1. Non-Communicable Diseases and the Rights-Based Movement; 2. Non-Communicable Diseases and Human Rights (longer document)
- May 6, 2011. Keynote to the Atlantic Provinces Ecumenical Council AGM “Ecumenism: Where do we go from here?”
- Return to Top -
- September 24-26. Geneva and Lisbon. Presentations and meetings on cancer control and cancer care.
- September 26. Guest preacher at Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Geneva Switzerland.
- August 17-21. The World Cancer Congress, Shenzhen, China. Presentation - The Protection and Promotion of Human Rights and Dignity in Cancer Control and Treatment.
- May 26 - 29. International PsychoOncology Society Congress. Presentation: Protection of Human Rights and Human Dignity - An IPOS Responsibility.
- May 25. Meeting of the CPOP Group, Quebec City.
- February 18-20. American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS) Annual General Meeting and Conference, New Orleans, USA. "Protection and Promotion of Human Rights and Dignity for Cancer Patients - Psycho-oncology's Role".
- Return to Top -
- November 20, 21. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, New York. IPOS meeting and with Human Rights Watch.
- November 8 -11. 3rd International Cancer Control Congress, Cernobbio Italy.
- November 4 -6. Geneva meetings with UICC, WHO.
- October 29, 2009. "Unconditional Love: Basis of Peace Strength" Talk to the peace series at Mount St Mary's, Charlottetown, Canada.
- September 25-26, 2009 - Global Leadership Forum for Cancer Control - Workshop/talk on "Cancer Control as a Human Right"
- September 18, 2009 - "Grieving and Healing: - Grief, Loss and Your Clients; - How it Affects Funeral Directors. Workshop for the Atlantic Provinces Funeral Directors and Services Convention, Mill River Resort. Mary Lou Morrison - Counselling & Training Centre, David Morrison -The Strathmor Group
- Workshop for Canadian Funeral Home Directors - "Grieving and Healing - The Effect for Funeral Home Directors" with Mary Lou Morrison
- June 25, 2009. "The Promotion and Protection of Human Dignity and Human Rights for Cancer Patients", Presidential Symposium, IPOS Congress, Vienna.
- May 12, 2009. Canadian Council of Churches Forum on "Faith and a Sustainable Economy: Poverty Crisis, Financial Crisis, Environmental Crisis - Reflections on Hope and Transformation"; Ottawa, Canada.
- April 24, 2009. Talk to the Mediterranean Taskforce on Cancer Control, Marrekech, Morocco. "Canada: Cancer Conversations and the Global Program for Cancer Control".
- April 19, 2009. Preaching at Emmanuel Church, Geneva. "Peace I Leave with You"
- February 13, 2009 - Visit with staff of the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Centre, Margaret Anne Coles, Program Director, Phoenix, Arizona.
- February 6, 2009 - "Psychosocial Supportive Care: An Effective and Integrated Team Approach," presentation to the American Psychosocial Oncology Society AGM, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA.
- Return to Top -
- December 8, 2008 Speaking with Prostate Support Group. Reflections on "Cancer control and human rights"; "Prostate Cancer Profile and Fundraisers"; "Prostate Cancer Risk Factors". See outline in Recent Presentations.
- November 18 -19, 2008. North-South Institute, Board Meetings, Ottawa. See www.nsi-ins.ca
- November 6, 13, 2008 - Panel Moderator and Speaker on "Spiritual Insights: (1) Judaism, Christianity, Islam; (2) Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism." Mount St Mary's Spirituality Centre. Public forum.
- October 29, 2008. "Loss: Grieving and Healing," a workshop for the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association National Conference. With Mary Lou Morrison, Counselling and Training Centre. See 'Select Presentations' for power point.
- October 28, 2008 "An Integrated Palliative Care Team Model," Challenge panel, AGM and National Conference, Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association. See 'Select Presentations' for power point and speaking notes.
- October 27, 2008 Celebration of Life, Speaker for the CHPCA Memorial Service. See text at www.strathmor.blogspot.com
- October 17 - 19, 2008 Campaign to Control Cancer, Canadian Leaders' Retreat, Old Orchard Inn.
- August 28-Sept. 1, 2008. "Supportive Care," World Cancer Congress,
Geneva, Switzerland. See www.strathmor.blogspot.com
- June 11, 2008. Spirituality in a Small Cancer Treatment Centre - a
Culturally Diffuse Model Not Dependent on Religiosity, IPOS, Madrid,
- June 12, 2008. Moderator, “Cultural and Ethnic Issues, IPOS World
Congress, Madrid, Spain.
- May 26 - 30, 2008. Human Rights and Human Dignity, Seminar for
leaders of world religions. Ecumenical Institute of the WCC and Graduate
School of the University of Geneva, Switzerland.
- March 31, 2008. Think-Tank on Women’s Cancers, for Cancer Care
leaders, Atlantic Region, Halifax, Canada.
- March 1, 2008. Presentation on “The Role of Spirituality in
Psychosocial Oncology,” American Psychosocial Oncology Society AGM,
Irvine, Ca, USA.
- February 6, 2008. “Spirituality in Recovery,” Multiple Myeloma
- Return to Top -
- November 22, 2007. “Loss and Grieving - The Spiritual Piece.”
Talk to the School of Radiography, PEI.
- September 16, 2007. Psychosocial Aspects of Palliative Care: From
Screening to Care Pathways, International Psycho-Oncology Society
training workshop, London, England.
- June 14, 2007. Atlantic Conference Oncology Group meetings,
Presentation with Dr Rob Rutledge, MD and oncology specialist. -
“Emotional and spiritual care.”
- June 6, 2007. Presentation to the Pastoral/Spiritual Care Committee,
- May 11 - 12, 2007. Leadership workshop. Implementing the Cdn
Strategy on Cancer Control: Canadian Partnership Against Cancer:
Psychosocial Oncology, Knowledge Exchange Workshop. Winnipeg.
- May 9 - 11, 2007 CAPO (Canadian Assoc Psychosocial Oncology) AGM
& leadership; Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- May 7, 2007 (and previous). YMCA Encore Program for Breast Cancer
Survivors. Talk on spirituality and emotional support.
- March 5 - 7, 2007. Psychosocial Oncology Canadian Cancer Strategy
meetings, Vancouver. By invitation to Canadian leaders.
- February 27, 2007. Provincial launch of the Prostate Cancer
Information Kit, designed out of the CTC and supplied in partnerships
- Return to Top -
- December, 2006. “Moments for Meditation” daily time out for
staff for month.
- November 11, 2006. “Integrating Spiritual Assessment and Spiritual
Care Specialists into Cancer Care,” with oncologist Dr Rob Rutledge.
4th International Multidisciplinary Conference on Spirituality and
Health. Vancouver, Canada.
- November 10, 2006. Site visit to the Tom Baker Cancer Centre,
- October 19, 2006 “Addressing Stress in Cancer Care: Engaging and
Screening Patients - Integrating Spiritual and Emotional Care in a Busy
Clinic,” with Rob Rutledge, M.D., FRCPC. Presentation at the 8th World
Congress of Psycho-Oncology, Venice, Italy.
- October 16-17. Psychosocial Academy, University of Ferrara, Italy.
- October 14, “Cancer Care - Total Care,” the Cancer Day
presentation to the English Speaking Cancer Association, Geneva,
Switzerland. With Dr Rutledge.
- October 6, 2006. “Death & Grieving,” School of Radiology,
- Sept 26-30. Meeting of interest. 16th International Congress on Care
of the Terminally Ill. Montreal, Canada.
- May 13, 2006 “Dealing with Fetal Demise” Plenary speech.
Canadian Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers. Annual National
Meeting and Conference.
- April 6, 2006 “Spirituality and Health Care” Public Lecture,
with Dr Rutledge. Centre for Spirituality in the Woprkplace, Sobey
School of Business, St Mary’s University, Canada.
- March 29, 2006 “Caregivers - Not 2nd Class Citizens” Talk to
palliative care and bereavement volunteers’ AGM
- March, 2006 “Addressing Spiritual Distress in Cancer Care” Dr
David Morrison, Spiritual Care Multidisiplinary Team, PEI Cancer
Treatment centre & Dr Rob Rutledge, Radiation Oncology, Nova Scotia
Cancer Centre and Dalhousie Med School, Grand Rounds, Halifax, Video
Conference to Maritime Centres
- February 23, 2006 “When Meds are not Enough: Exploring Total
Pain” Audio-conference - Speakers: Romayne Gallagher, MD (Vancouver),
Carol Barwick (Calgary) David Morrison (Charlottetown)
- February 24, 2006 “Assessments and Responses” Workshop for
- Return to Top -
- December 11, 12, 2005 Participation in a conference of interest:
Spirituality and Medical Healing Harvard Medical School, Boston.
Gathering of over 400 medical and spiritual specialists examining the
effect of spirituality in the healing process.
- November 2005 "Loss: Healing and Grieving" Day workshop with M.L.
Morrison, attended by 125 health Care Professionals and some clergy.
- October 2005 "Well-Being & Spirituality" To the English Speaking
Cancer Association (ESCA), Geneva Switzerland. Also posted by the
Atlantic Breat Cancer Net as a five part series, at www.abcn.ca
- October 2005 "Cancer Stress: Grieving and Healing" A workshop with
Mary Lou Morrison, grief counselor, Geneva, Switzerland for the Cancer
- October 2005 "Spiritual Touchstones: Indications for Referral," with
radiation oncologist Dr Rob Rutledge. Workshop for the AGM of the
Atlantic CAPPE, Tatamagouche Centre.
- September 2005 "Round-table on Spirituality in the Public Sector"
for senior federal civil servants, Ottawa, Canada.
- June 2005 Consultations at the Royal Marsden Cancer Hospital,
- May 24-25. St Francis Hospice 4th Annual Kaleidoscope Conference -
Palliative Care for All? The Challenges of Inclusion. Dublin Castle,
- May 2005 "Nephrology Nursing: Spirituality and Tough Nursing," Talk
to the Canadian Association of Nephrology Nurses and Technicians,
- April 2005 "Assessing Spirituality in Cancer Patients: Practical
Suggestions for Daily Interaction and Indications for Referral to
Spiritual Care Specialists," Workshop with Dr Rob Rutledge, MD, at the
Canadian Association of Psychosocial Oncology (CAPO) - ‘Mind/Body
Medicine and Spirituality: New Horizons in Cancer Care Conference,’
Victoria, British Columbia.
- March 2005 "Loss: Grieving and Healing." With Mary Lou Morrison.
Day-long workshop for all 100 education counselors and palliative care
workers, sponsored by the Department of Education.
- February 2005 "Spirituality and Well-Being in the Work Place" - To
QEH Health Care Staff.
- Jan 14 -Mar 9, 2005 University Course: "Contemporary Spirituality."
Eight-week three hour sessions for the Seniors’ College, University of
Prince Edward Island.
- January 2005 "Spirituality: Death & Dying" for senior nursing
- Return to Top -
- November 2004 "Communication with Patients" Presentation to Annual
Pastoral Care Volunteers’ Meeting .
- October 2004 "Spirituality: Death and Dying" Workshop and talk for
front-line palliative care nurses.
- September 2004 15th International Congress on Care of the Terminally
- September 2004 "Spirituality, Ethics and Well Being in the Public
Sector" Speech & presentation National Ethics Symposium, Ottawa,
- June 2004 "Spirituality, Happiness & Well Being" To National
Annual General Meeting, Association of Anglican Deacons and
- June 2004 “Spirituality & Quality of Life in End of Life
Care", To Canadian Assoc of Occupational Therapists, National Annual
General Meeting. June 2004.
- May, 2004. Ethics and Issues in Palliative Care, St Columba’s
Fellowship. Palliative Care Conference at Lee Abbey, Devon, UK. May